What is Truth or Dare?
Truth or Dare is one of the best party games to elevate random get-togethers to a higher level. It makes the dullest of dull parties come to life and it gives a fun, personal and intimate touch to gatherings with friends. It truly is the classic party game for any party or sleepover!
Best thing about Truth or Dare? The chance to get to know the other players on a deeper, personal level. And daring them to make complete fools out of themselves, of course.
So don’t hesitate and start this fun game to test the boldness of your friends or family! All you need is our app, which is filled to the brim with hundreds of funny, personal and daring questions and challenges.
Don’t forget a serious dose of embarrassment tolerance, though! 🤔
How do you play Truth or Dare?
Truth or Dare can be played with friends, couples, or family. Whether you want to play it with a large group or some of your closest friends is up to you. A large group will surely bring loads of hilarious fun to the table. But a limited number of players can make for a more intimate setting, which can be nice for the more personal questions in the game.
Whatever you choose, the basis of the game is simple. First, you decide as a group who gets to start. The player who gets to start must choose between answering a question truthfully or performing a dare. This player then receives a question or a task that the rest of the group, or the previous player, can come up with.
After the question or task has been carried out, the current player asks the next player: ‘Truth or Dare?’, and so the game continues. The group is free to choose the order of the players: do you take turns in a circle, or can the current player choose the next player?
Do you need some inspiration? You can find the most fun Truth or Dare questions online on this website. We have collected hundreds of fun questions and assignments for you!
Play the online version ✨
You can find over 1,000 embarrassing questions and fun tasks in our free app for iPhone and Android. Give it a try!
Official Game Rules
Did you know the game was already played back in ancient Greece? According to numerous sources, the game was called “Questions and Commands” back then. Since the game has been around for many centuries, there are different versions and rules for it.
We’ve collected the official basic rules for Truth or Dare. Of course, you can choose which rules to follow for your game. But you should definitely stick to the following:
- For safety: Safety first! Make sure nobody gets physically or emotionally hurt!
- For secrecy: What happens in the game stays in the game! Nobody is allowed to tell anyone about the things that happened during playing.
- For skipping: Let’s be honest, it can happen to anyone. Someone asks an embarrassing question or demands a hard dare, and you just want to skip it. It’s a game and everyone should feel comfortable while playing. So decide what a player has to do if they want to skip a turn. For example, the player needs to drink a shot, sing a song, or remove a piece of clothing.
- For quitting: Before you and your friends start playing, you should decide on a punishment for anyone who quits the game. For example, the quitters have to run around the house in their underwear, call their crush and confess their love, or they are not allowed to speak until the end of the game.
Good Truth questions
If players choose ‘Truth’ they must honestly answer a question. That means that you don’t want to ask them simple questions which they are more than happy to answer. You want them to blush with embarrassment and stutter while they give their painfully truthful answer! The more personal and embarrassing a question, the more fun it is.
List of Truths
We have collected some fun and revealing questions for you below!
- Which body part of yours are you most proud of?
- Say one truth and one dare you wouldn’t do.
- What was the strangest dream you’ve ever had?
- Pick one: money, fame or power.
- Spill the last secret someone told you. 😳
- Have you ever been hypnotized and, if so, what happened?
- What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done while drunk?
- If you were the opposite sex for one hour, what would you do?
- What celebrity would you go gay for?
- How many men/women have you already kissed?
- What was the most embarrassing moment of your life?
- What makes a good kisser? 💕
- Among all the people in this room, who would you like to date?
- What is the one thing you would never do, not for all the money in the world?
- What is the biggest lie you ever told?
Good Dares to ask 🔥
If players pick ‘Dare’ they have to carry out a task. Of course, you don’t want them to do something boring, like standing on one leg for a minute. On the contrary, you want them to perform something crazy or embarrassing they seriously don’t want to do!
List of Dares
For the real daredevils, we have collected some fun dares below!
- Show your last received text message.
- Kiss the person closest to you. ❤️
- Write your best friend’s name backward.
- Close your eyes, feel someone’s face, and guess who they are.
- Send a selfie with a kiss to your ex.
- Smell everyone’s feet and rank their smelliness.
- French kiss a person’s belly button.
- Lick a mirror as sexy as you can.
- Sing and dance in the street like you’re crazy.
- Give a kiss to everyone playing!
- Become the slave of another person in the group for five minutes.
- Tell something very intimate.
- Sing everything you say for the next fifteen minutes.
- Take a shower with all your clothes on.
- Do the robot for 10 seconds.
Next: Dirty Truth or Dare questions (18+)
Variations of Truth or Dare
Want to spice up the Truth or Dare traditional game? If you dare, you can make up your own rules to determine the limits of your game. Here are a few creative new game rules to turn your evening into a crazy game-night that nobody will ever forget.
The Pick-Your-Dare rule
If someone really doesn’t want to perform the dare that’s been given, all the other players could pick a challenging dare of their own. The player must then choose one of these new dares.
The Inescapable Dare 😈
Often people are afraid to choose a dare. So they stick with the relatively safe questions. In this version of the game, players are not given a choice between a ‘truth’ or a ‘dare’. It now alternates between the two. No backing out of this one!
Spin the Bottle
Instead of merely waiting until it’s your turn, you let a bottle do the work. This combination of Spin the Bottle and Truth or Dare is a brilliant one! The bottle is spun in the middle of the circle. Whoever it points to must choose between a ‘truth’ and a ‘dare’. Then the bottle is turned a second time to figure out who’ll be the questioner.
Drinks or shots! 🍻
Are you old enough? Then you could bring on some extra fun with alcohol. There are various versions you could try out. Like replacing the truth option with an alcohol consumption. Or letting players opt for a (somewhat gross) mix shot when they don’t like the question or dare they have been given.
Whatever you do: always remember to drink responsibly. Yes, slightly drunk dares can be hilarious, but getting way too hammered usually is not. This game is not meant to get totally wasted. It is intended for a fun and exciting night with friends or family.
Ready for more?
Take a look at our best Truth or Dare Questions. Or download our free app for iPhone and Android:
Always feel comfortable!
Another thing which should go without saying: if you really don’t feel comfortable with a question or task, just ask for a new one. There’s nothing to be ashamed. Nobody should feel pressured in saying or doing things they are very uncomfortable with.
What always helps is deciding beforehand what types of questions or tasks are forbidden. Some people do not like questions or tasks regarding alcohol, drugs or sex, for example. This way, nobody will be put on the spot by being asked to gulp down a shot or removing a piece of clothing.
Some ‘rules’ you could agree on:
- What kinds of questions are off-limits?
- How far can a dare go?
- Where can players perform the dares?
- Does every player need to watch the person who’s performing a dare?
- Can questions or dares involve people who are not present?
Remember that the game should feel fun and safe for everyone. Don’t do dangerous things on a dare, and don’t feel pressured into answering a question that is way too personal or could cause tensions between you and other people in the group. You are allowed to say ‘no’, don’t forget that!
Have fun playing this game! Don’t forget to try our free app with Truth or Dare questions.